Monday, June 21, 2010

White Chili

Story:
A friend in South Ogden, Jessica H., gave me this recipe years ago. I found it in my binder and tried it just recently. It was super good! I made it again last night and it was even better than I remembered. My kids don't love the butter beans, but they didn't really complain about 'em either. Ben and I loved it.

Ingredients:
1 T vegetable oil
1 C chopped onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 C chicken broth
2 T chopped fresh cilantro OR 1/2 t ground coriander
2 T lime juice
1/2 t dried oregano
1/4 t red pepper sauce
1/4 t salt
1 can (11 oz) white shoepeg corn, drained
1 can (15-16 oz) great northern beans, drained
1 can (15-16 oz) butter beans, drained
2 C chicken breast, cooked & chopped

And garnishes: (whichever of these look good to you...)
crushed tortilla chips,
shredded cheese,
diced tomatoes,
chopped green onions,
sliced avocados,
chopped cilantro
& sour cream.

Directions:
Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
Cook onions and garlic, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender.
Stir in remaining ingredients, except the chicken.
Heat to boiling, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
Stir in chicken. Simmer until hot.

Serve with:
crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, chopped green onions, sliced avocados, chopped cilantro, & sour cream.

Notes:
It tastes great without the garnishes, but they make it a lot better. I didn't use the cilantro or sour cream last night, and it was still good. My top picks for garnishes, though, would be the chips, the cheese and the tomatoes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds awesome! :) I'm gonna hafta try it.