Wednesday, May 16, 2012

German Pancakes

Story:
My mom made these German pancakes for special breakfasts for us, on occasion.  I don't know how my mom had a way of making everything feel special.  Megan says she does things "fancy."  I love that about my mom.  She would do these pancakes up in two round cake pans and they come out of the oven soooo puffy and buttery and beautiful.  She would have sliced peaches on a bowl on the tableclothed-table served on our glass dishes with two separate glasses--one with milk and a miniature glass with juice.  She would even have a little glass bowl of powdered sugar you could use the teaspoon to sprinkle some on top of the pancakes.

Unfortunately for my children, I now make these when I'm in need of a quick dinner.  Sorry, kids.  Don't have that wonderful "fancy gene."  I usually have the ingredients on hand so I can whip 'em up real quick and finish the breakfast dishes that are still left in the sink while the pancakes are in the oven.  I don't even own a tablecloth.  I'm not sure how my mom did it...

I have TWO VERSIONS of this recipe, prepared basically the same way. The first is my mom's recipe, it is much air-ier and fluffier.  The second was in the Crestwood 1st Ward's ward cookbook, submitted by a friend, Heather D.  It is denser and thus more filling for lots of tummies.  Needless to say, I usually prepare the latter.  My mom prepared them in, like I said, two round cake pans.  I keep it simpler and use a 9x13 casserole dish (used for both versions).

Ingredients:
MOM's Version:
6 eggs
1 C flour
1 C milk
dash of salt
3 T butter

HEATHER's Version:
10 eggs
1 1/2 C flour
1 1/2 C milk
(she didn't call for it, but I still use a dash of salt)
1/2 stick butter

Directions:
Mix all the ingredients in a blender.  Place the butter in the bottom of 9x13 and place in oven while it is preheating (careful not to burn the butter).  Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes (Mom's version) or 425 for 20 minutes (Heather's version)... until poofy and lightly browned on top.  Serve immediately.  Sprinkle with peaches, berries, and powdered sugar.

(My kids pour syrup on them, but I still have enough "fancy" left in me that I can't destroy the dish with it.... out of respect for my mother, I guess.)

No comments: