Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Chicken & Carrot Crockpot Dinner

Story:

My Tuesday and Thursday afternoons can be a little hectic around my house.  And sadly, we don't always get to sit down and eat all together as a big, happy family. (Because that's what our daily family dinners are mostly like, right?  Nothing but laughter and good times...  certainly no picky eaters or teasing siblings or tired momma or anything like that... We try.)  Anyway, for this season, I am trying to put together crockpot meals on Tuesday and Thursday mornings, so even if we don't all sit down together, there is still a good meal ready for my hungry people.

And if I'm feeling a little low on ideas, what's the logical thing to do?  Pinterest, right?  So the recipe I am sharing here kind of came off Pinterest, but I read the comments and made some adaptations to it, and guess what... the kids loved it! Win!

Truth be told, I kinda threw it together before I had to leave for a staff meeting, so all measurements are estimates... but it's kind of one of those things that can't really get messed up.  I'm mostly adding it to the blog because the kids liked it and it was easy and I'd love to do it again.

Ingredients:
Chicken breasts or tenderloins (I used 5 thin-cut breasts that I cut into strips.)
Onions (I sliced 2 smallish ones)
Potatoes (I used 1 big one, because that's all I had.  3 would probably be good.)
Carrots (I used 6 or 7 big carrots, cut into quarters/sticks.  Baby carrots would be fine.)*
Chicken broth (I poured a little more than a cup in, just something wet for the chicken to cook in.)
Cube of butter
2 T minced garlic
1 t parsley
1 t thyme
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper

Directions:
Layer in the chicken, then onions, then potatoes, then carrots.
Pour the broth over it all, until you feel satisfied that the chicken won't be too dry.
In a small saucepan, melt the butter and add all the seasonings.
Pour the melted butter mixture over everything in the crockpot.

Cook on low.  I don't have an exact time, but 6-8 hours should be plenty.

Note:
The carrots were actually my kids favorite part.  I may add even more of them next time.

No comments: