Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Parmesan Pesto Chicken & Veggies (Sheet Pan)

STORY:
In my journey towards better health and away from my (beloved) bad habits, I keep looking for easy and healthy family dinners.  Enter the new popular Sheet Pan Dinners.  I've only tried a couple different versions, but I've made this one twice and I'm making it again tomorrow.  My kids all love it.  Even the picky 7 year old boy.  The 15 year old boy says it's one of his favorite dinners. So yay!

I found an amazing food blog that every single picture looks like something I want to try! Like seriously incredible. I'm not sure I'm ever going to need to go to a different website for meal ideas.  It's called Carlsbad Cravings and that's where I came across this tasty dish that I'm adding to my little family blog tonight.  Here is the link to the recipe on their site.  I'm just adding it here for easy reference because, like I said, delicious and easy... and I almost always have every ingredient on hand.

Besides, my oldest child is almost a senior in high school (!) which means she may be living on her own soon which means she might want access to recipes that she already knows and loves which means I need to make sure I am adding more here for her easy reference...

INGREDIENTS:
Chicken & Veggies
2 C red potatoes, cut up no bigger than 1/2" to 1" pieces
1 1/2 lbs chicken, cut into 1 1/2" chunks; breasts or thighs
3 C broccoli, medium sized florets
1 C thinly sliced carrots
1/2 C Parmesan cheese, freshly grated

Pesto Mix/Sauce:
1/3 C basil pesto (I always keep a jar of the Costco jar in my fridge... it's good on a dozen things!)
1 T olive oil
2 t ranch dry seasoning mix
3-4 minced garlic cloves (Some people may not like it as much as fresh, but for convenience, I always have a big bottle of minced garlic in my fridge)
2 t dijon mustard
1/2 t chili powder
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Whisk together all the pesto mix ingredients in a large bowl.
Line a large jelly roll pan/oversized cookie sheet (10x15) with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
Put 2 tablespoons of the pesto mix and the potatoes in a bowl.  Toss to evenly coat.  Spread in a single layer on the baking sheet and roast for 15-20 minutes.
Meanwhile, chop up the chicken, broccoli, and carrots.  Toss them in the bowl with the remaining pesto mix and really get in there and coat everything really well.
Remove the baking sheet with the potatoes from the oven and scoot all the potatoes to one side, while keeping in a single layer.  Then spread the chopped and coated chicken and veggies on the pan, again, in a single layer.
Return to the oven for 15 minutes.
Remove again and sprinkle on the Parmesan cheese.
Return to the oven for 5 more minutes, checking for doneness.

While it's good to go just like this, Ben usually likes some sort of a grain with it.  So with this kind of meal, I'd usually just do up some rice or quinoa to go with it.

No comments: