Tuesday, September 9, 2008

How I Do Brown Rice

Story:

I should probably call this "How Sarah E. Taught Me To Do Brown Rice". Thanks to my friend Sarah in South Ogden, brown rice has become one of my favorite side dishes.

Directions:

The trick she taught me is to add chicken bouillon to the water before adding the rice. In her words, "It keeps it from tasting like dirt."

So in one pot, boil the rice according to the package directions (but add some chicken bouillon to the water--just a couple of teaspoons). While that's boiling, in a separate pan or wok, melt about a tablespoon or two of butter. Then saute lots of chopped onion and chopped celery in butter. Add a little black pepper. Stir occasionally and just let it simmer there for a while. When the rice is done (it usually takes 45 minutes), stir in the celery and onions with the rice. Voila! Now you don't have just boring rice, but you it has a better flavor and a nice texture.

Thanks, Sarah! I miss you!

2 comments:

Sarah Empey said...

Wowee, I made it into the recipe book (even if it is just for brown rice) :)

Amy said...

You can also add frozen orange juice concentrate and it adds a new fresh flavor to the rice.