Monday, February 15, 2010

Polynesian Skillet

Story:
Here is another recipe from one of those little "recipe exchanges" that I participated in once upon a time. I believe this one came from my friend and neighbor in South Ogden, Holly R. It's a pretty tasty one... and a dinner that I usually have all the ingredients on hand to make. I especially like it because it's an all-in-one-dish dinner.

Ingredients:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into thin strips)
1 T oil
1 onion, sliced
1 green pepper, sliced
1 can pineapple chunks (15 oz), reserving the juice
1 can mandarin oranges (11 oz), drained
2 t chicken bouillon granules
1 C water
1/4 C vinegar
1/2 C brown sugar
2 T soy sauce
2 T cornstarch

Directions:
In a large skillet (I use my electric skillet), cook the strips of chicken in the oil until chicken is lightly browned.
Add the onion and the green pepper. Stir fry until vegetables are tender.
Then add 1/2 C of the juice from the pineapple, chicken bouillon, water, vinegar, and brown sugar.
In a separate bowl, combine the soy sauce and the cornstarch; wisk until mixed.
Add the cornstarch mix to the chicken and vegetables.
Simmer until mixture thickens, stirring constantly.
Add the pineapple and mandarin oranges.
Serve over rice.

And, that's it! Enjoy.

No comments: