Monday, February 15, 2010

Sweet and Sour Meatballs

Story:
I have no idea where I picked up this little piece of paper that is tucked into my scrapbook-of-a-cookbook. I've had it for a long time, though, and we really like these meatballs.... not that we're big meatball-kind-of-people, but if you're ever in the mood, these are really good.
In someone's handwriting, which I don't recognize, on this recipe is a note that it is from the Lion House recipes. The anonymous person also jotted that they doubled the sauce, and I always do too, so note that the ingredients for the sauce is already doubled. Also, note that it says to make twelve large meatballs, I tend to be the "small meatball" type, so I make smaller meatballs, just filling up my 9x13 with 'em.

Ingredients for Meatballs:
1 to 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
3/4 C rolled oats (I usually throw in a little extra)
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 C finely chopped onion
1/2 C milk
1 t salt
dash of pepper
1 t Worcestershire sauce

Ingredients for Sweet and Sour Sauce:
1 C brown sugar
1/2 C vinegar
2 t mustard
1/2 C barbecue sauce
2 t Worcestershire sauce

Directions:
For the sauce, combine all the ingredients. Heat over low heat.
Combine all the ingredients for the meatballs. Mix well.
Form into several small meatballs (or about 12 big ones, if you prefer) and place into a 9x13 casserole dish.
Cover with the sauce.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
I like them served over rice.

No comments: