Thursday, April 5, 2012

Chinese Chicken Salad

Story:
My mom got this recipe from a family friend Julie R. (mother of my friend Traci U.).  I think my family discovered the delicious-ness of this recipe when I was in high school. It's been a family favorite ever since.

I remember making this a few times for my roommates back in the college days when we took turns for Sunday dinners.  For some reason this afternoon, as I was putting the salad together, I was feeling a little nostalgic for the good times at "The Riv."  Here's to you: Em, Lee, & Tiff!

Ingredients:
Salad:
1 head cabbage, sliced thinly
1/2 C sesame seeds, toasted in butter
1/2 C sliced almonds (I like to toast these too.. with a little sugar)
4-8 green onions, chopped
2 pkgs ramen noodles, crushed (no seasoning)
2-3 chicken breasts, cooked & cubed or shredded

Dressing:
3/4 C rice vinegar
1/2 C (+2 T) peanut oil
4 T sugar
1 t "accent" seasoning
1 t salt
1 t pepper

Directions:
Mix dressing ingredients. Stir well.
Prepare all salad ingredients and put in a large serving bowl.
Pour dressing over salad and stir very well to mix thoroughly.

Notes:
Tonight I made it with the chicken pulled off of a Costco rotisserie chicken... delish!
This salad is as good (if not better) the next day.

No comments: