Friday, August 2, 2019

Jane's Chicken Bowl

Story:
A couple of summers ago, Ben and I tried doing the Whole 30 eating plan thing.  It was insightful and I felt great! My Simon had a good friend (Ryan) in his class and I got to know Ryan's mom, Jane J, who is one amazing woman!  I love her so much and she was kind of like a Whole 30 pro! This is one of Jane's recipes that I snagged from her.

I don't think it is like an amazingly awesome meal or anything, but it is SO EASY and it fills the tummy, and I feel good after eating it.  Jane, if I remember correctly, says that she "loves it with her whole soul."  So it's worth keeping on hand!

Ingredients:
Zucchini and/or Cauliflower Rice
Chicken, cooked and chopped
Avocados, cubed
Salt & Pepper
Balsamic Reduction/Glaze

Directions:
Saute the zucchini and/or prep the cauliflower rice.  (When I made this for my family last night, I did up the zucchini in olive oil.  I also use frozen cauli-rice--so easy!--and just heat it on the stove in a non-stick pan. I ate it with the zucchini, the kids had the cauli-rice, Ben had both.)
Cook and chop the chicken.  (I actually only make this dinner when I already have cooked and chopped chicken that is ready to be eaten!  It makes for a super easy lunch too... when you already have leftover chicken.)
Cube the avocados. (Plan on almost a half an avocado per person.)

So in each person's bowl, they just put in desired amount of veggies, chicken, and avocado.  Sprinkle on salt and pepper. Then drizzle some Balsamic Reduction/Glaze on top.  Start with not too much salt and pepper and balsamic, but plan on adding more.  Not enough, and the dish isn't very flavorful, too much and... ew.

Note:
I believe the Whole 30 book has a recipe to make your own balsamic reduction... which I did once.  And it was sad to see my balsamic vinegar boil down to nada. So I just buy it at Trader Joe's.  :)

No comments: