Friday, August 9, 2019

Sweet Potato Hash

Story:
A few summers ago, the stars aligned and I found the courage to try the Whole 30 program.  (It is what it sounds like... whole foods for 30 days.  Veggies, fruit, meat, nuts, seeds and healthy oils.)  I loved it!  It took a lot of time and energy when you're trying to feed a big family, but I liked how I felt while eating like that.

One reason I did it, was to see how it would help my psoriasis. Spoiler alert: it didn't help.  I was surprised!  Since then, however, I've read more that many people with psoriasis should avoid "nightshade vegetables" (tomatoes, tomatillos, white potatoes, bell peppers, hot peppers, and all spices made with peppers).  Sweet potatoes are not a nightshade, and are ok.  Thus, this recipe. Those were my go-to vegetables!  And I was eating a lot of them on Whole 30, so maybe that's why my psoriasis did not improve.  I'd like to try it again, but also omitting nightshades this time around.

Anyway, this is a recipe that I found somewhere on Pinterest, but this is an adjusted version.  It can be tweaked a lot!  It's just a breakfast hash, but I honestly love it for lunch or dinner too.  It's amazing.  Here's a general outline of ingredients, but it's fun to change things and add more or less of whatever you like in a hash!

Ingredients:

3 Aidell's (brand) chicken and apple sausages, diced
2-3 yams and/or sweet potatoes, diced
1 large onion, diced
Coconut or Olive oil
Salt & Pepper
Eggs, soft-cooked

Also good: (But nightshades, so I don't add them in)
White potatoes
Bell peppers
Hatch green chilies

Directions:
Dice all the foods.  Heat a generous amount of coconut or olive oil in a large skillet. Add the potatoes and onions and get them cooking.  (If you are using potatoes, peppers, or chilies, add them too. Ben loves hatch green chilies and adds them to a lot of dishes and he especially likes them in this.) Then add the diced sausages. I add a generous amount of kosher salt and some pepper.
When they are getting close to being done, I throw some eggs into my egg cooker and set it for a soft boil.  When the hash is done, I serve it in a bowl with one or two eggs on top.  The yolk drips all over and you stir it all up and it is one of my favorite meals in the world!  I almost always keep these ingredients on hand for a go-to dinner.  Some of the kids don't love it, but that's just because they're crazy.  Ben and Ethan and I adore it.  I believe last time we had it, Ethan said something like, "I don't even know why this is so good.  I could eat it every day!"

No comments: