Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Fruit Salsa

Story:
A few years ago, I picked up a crock pot cooking cookbook called: Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly, by Phyllis Pellman Good. At the time, it seemed like we were going to lots of game nights and outdoor BBQs with neighbors and such... and at times I was perplexed as to what to take as an appetizer to share. But that is when I discovered this FRUIT SALSA. It's a crock pot appetizer, so it makes it easy to do ahead as well as easy to serve. And most importantly, it tastes good.
For some reason, I thought of it the other day, and now I'm itching to make it again...

Ingredients:
1 can mandarin oranges (11 oz)
1 can unsweetened sliced peaches, undrained (8 1/2 oz)
1 can unsweetened pineapple tidbits, undrained (8 oz)
1 medium sized onion, chopped
1/2 of a medium-sized green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 of a medium-sized red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 of a medium-sized yellow bell pepper, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 T cornstarch
4 t vinegar
(And Tortilla Chips to eat it with, of course.)

Directions:
Combine all the ingredients in a slow cooker. Cover. Cook on high for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Serve with tortilla chips. (If I remember correctly, it was good hot--right out of the crock pot-- OR cold.)

Notes:
I think I remember that I liked to double it. It
made a LOT, but that way I just used the whole pepper (of each color). And it makes good leftovers.

No comments: