Saturday, July 25, 2009

Summer Salad

Story:
I have a "salad spinner" and I love it; I've had it for years. It's great to wash up some lettuce in it, spin it dry, and then I always have clean, crisp lettuce ready to throw on a sandwich or on a plate for a quick salad. Anyway, this recipe for a "Summer Salad" came with the SoftWorks Salad Spinner when I bought it. It sounded good, so I tried it. It's become a fave.

Ingredients:
Salad
mixed salad greens
strawberries, sliced
3 kiwis, peeled and sliced
1/2 C dried cranberries

Dressing
1/4 C red wine vinegar
1/2 C olive oil
3/4 t salt
1/2 C sugar

Topping
1 C slivered almonds
1/3 C sugar

Directions:
For the salad: Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
For the dressing: Combine all ingredients, shake well, and pour over salad.
For the topping: Heat almonds and sugar in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until sugar melts. Stir until almonds are coated. Remove from heat and let cool. Sprinkle almonds over the salad.
And, well, there you have it. Enjoy!

Notes:
The original recipe called for a cubed mango, too. That just seemed a little too much sweetness, even for me...
Also, note that the almonds probably don't need to be sugar-coated... though they are really good. Also, when I do prepare them, it always takes longer than I remember it's going to. So when you prepare the salad, probably start with the almonds first. Then they can cool while you do everything else. Just a simple little tip.

No comments: