Monday, August 24, 2009

Francine's Snickerdoodles

Story:
I really like Snickerdoodles.
I think it's because I'm a sugar kind of girl. I usually take candy over chocolate... to the bewilderment of my husband who is the bigger chocolate lover of the family.

My friend, Francine B., has provided me with my favorite little treat on more than one occasion... and her snickerdoodles are awesome! So, being the me that I am, I asked her for the recipe... and here you have it:

Ingredients:
1 C butter or margarine
1 1/2 C sugar
2 eggs
1/2 t almond extract*
2 3/4 C flour
2 t cream of tartar**
1 t baking soda
for the coating:
1/2 C sugar
1 t cinnamon

Directions:
Cream together the butter, sugar, eggs, and almond extract.
Then add the flour, cream of tartar, and baking soda.
(Sometimes I have to chill it in the fridge a little bit here if the cookie dough is too soft to handle.)
Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
Roll into little balls, and roll the little balls in the cinnamon/sugar mixture.
Place on cookie sheets and bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes.
Cool on the pan for 3-4 minutes.***


*I think the almond extract is the "secret ingredient" in this recipe ... and I love it because it smells like my mom's homemade frosting; she always used almond extract in the frosting she made for our birthday cakes. And I thought it was cute when Gretchen was helping me make these a few weeks ago, she smelled the dough and said, "Oooh. These are frosting cookies!" She recognizes the smell as well.

**Does anyone know of another use for cream of tartar besides in snickerdoodles? That's the only time I've ever used it...

***Francine gave me a little cookie tip... she lets her cookie sheets cool completely before placing the next batch on. I find it works nicely, especially with chocolate chip cookies; it keeps the chips from melting on the sheets before baking onto the sheet.

4 comments:

Ro said...

I love snickerdoodles, too. I'll have to try this one. And I know what you mean about the smell of almond flavoring! Total birthday cake smell! As for Cream of Tartar... it's not even in Tartar Sauce! So you got me curious and I found this interesting little article about Cream of Tartar: http://www.ochef.com/933.htm

colleen said...

Only my sister Ro would actually take the time to educate herself on cream of tartar and then share with her little sis! thank for the info.

Megan said...

Hi Colleen,

Apparently when I was out of town Mike brought home some of your sugar cookies and my father fell in love. I just wanted to confirm that the snickerdoodle recipe was indeed the recipe for the "sugar cookies" my family enjoyed. Thanks!

colleen said...

Megan-
Yes... these Snickerdoodles were the cookies that I took in to the clinic the other week. Seeing how they are rolled in a cinnamon-sugar mix, I could see how they'd be mistaken as "sugar cookies." :)
-colleen