Thursday, August 29, 2013

Cream Tuna Fish & Peas on Toast

Story:
Cream Tuna Fish and Peas on Toast.  Really? Sounds weird, I know.  But I grew up having this dinner and I always loved it.  I haven't made it for a while, and the other day my kids were asking for it.  It is super good, everyone loves it, and I always have the ingredients on hand.  I'm making it tonight, and my kids are looking forward to it!

Growing up, I don't think any of my friends' families EVER ate this.  I guess I kind of wondered if my mom's mom made it up.  But I just looked it up online, and found several recipes for it and several comments of people who grew up in big families eating this when money was tight.  Kind of a frugal, generational type dish, I guess.  On my quick search online, I found a few different variations on how to make the white sauce; below is my mom's version.

It's basically just a white sauce.  Add tuna.  Add frozen peas.  Serve over toast!  That's it.

Ingredients:
4 T butter
4 T flour
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper (error on a little less than more)
2 C milk
1 can tuna (or two if they are the really little ones--has anyone noticed that Costco small cans are 7 oz, and the grocery stores are 5oz??)
frozen peas (as many as desired; I throw in a lot)

Directions:
Melt butter over low heat in a saucepan.  Blend in the flour and the seasonings.  Cook over low heat, stirring until the mixture is smooth and bubbly.  Remove from heat.  Stir in the milk.  Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.  Boil for one minute.  (Makes 2 cups of sauce.)
Add 1 can of well-drained tuna fish.  Stir into the sauce.  Add as many frozen peas as you want.  And warm through.
Serve over toast.

TIP: We love using PIZZA CUTTERS for lots of things.  For cutting up our waffles, pancakes, and of course pizza.  This is another time we use the pizza cutter to quickly and easily cut the sauce-covered toast up into nice sized bites.  Just an idea...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My mother made this, and I did when my kids were little too, it's one of my favorites, and we'd have cranberry sauce on the side, jellied cranberry sauce, to this day, I still love it!!