Thursday, August 22, 2013

Korean: Ddeokbokki (spicy rice cake)

Story:
As I've mentioned before, my husband and I both served a mission for our church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) in Seoul, South Korea.  Of course, we weren't married then... but AFTER the missions, we started dating and we were married not long after.  People often ask us if we speak Korean to each other.  It would be great if we did, but, well, English is a whole lot easier!  But we DO try sometimes.  And we do try to read scriptures in Korean.  And we have been known to occasionally get somewhat addicted to Korean dramas.  And we do LOVE Korean food.  For the record, I will admit that I was the world's pickiest eater before I lived in Korea for over a year (and I *may* have shed a tear when I was assigned to serve in Korea...mostly for fear of the food).  But now, the smell of kimchi makes my mouth water and I keep dried seaweed in my pantry at all times.

I took a quick trip to the Asian Market last week to purchase some of the aforementioned kimchi... and I saw some dduk (pressed rice cakes) sitting there in a bag waiting for me to take some home to make ddeokbokki.  Yum.  It's not the healthiest of Korean foods (probably why I like it and my husband not-so-much), but it is tasty (and not too scary for you new-food-a-phobics).  I'm going to make some tomorrow, and I wanted to go ahead and record the recipe here for easy access.  I found a Korean food blog that is pretty fun... www.maangchi.com ... which is where I found this ddeokbokki recipe.  I will record my simplified adaptation here (namely, I will not make the kelp and anchovy broth that she does... I'm sure it's awesome, but I'll just go with chicken broth.  Sorry Maangchi! I'm sure it's fab.)  And I'll go for the milder flavor recipe, because it might be tricky enough to get my kids to try it, and if it's too spicy, then it certainly won't fly.

Ingredients:
tube-shaped rice cakes for ddeokbokki
4 (to 6) T hot pepper paste
1 T sugar
4 green onions, cut into 1 or 2 inch pieces
4 C chicken broth

Directions:
Bring 4 cups of chicken broth to a boil.
Add the rice cakes (about a pound).
Add 4-6 tablespoons of the hot pepper paste and about 1 tablespoon of sugar.
Stir constantly.  Stir until the sauce is thick and the rice cake is shiny.
Transfer onto a plate to serve.

*I've only made it once, and it was great.  If it turns out okay tomorrow, I will add a picture here!* 

No comments: