Thursday, August 15, 2013

Rice Krispies Treats... maybe the best thing ever.

Story:

Yes, I am actually posting just the good ol' fashioned original Rice Krispies Treat recipe.  It might seem boring... but these treats are everyone's favorite, right?

Besides, if I put the recipe here, then maybe I'll remember to make these little squares of happy gooey-ness more often!

Also besides, I admittedly often buy the generic brand of Rice Krispies, and generic brands don't have the recipe on the box.  So, I usually have to go online and look up the measurements again. Perhaps a "real cook" wouldn't need measurements, but as stated before, I am no "real cook"... just a recipe follower.

Besides (again), this recipe does have one secret ingredient.  Some years ago when I was on a Rice Krispies Treat making kick, I took some to my friend Traci.  She said her kids ate them and were like, "Whoa! These are good!"  And she was like: "What? I make Rice Krispies Treats all the time." And they were like, "No, these are different!"

Vanilla.  It's the vanilla, guys.  It takes our traditional little sweet treat to a new level.  Seriously.

Ingredients:

4 T (1/2 stick) butter
4 C mini marshmallows OR 1 (10-oz) package of regular-sized marshmallows
1 t vanilla extract (recipe said "optional" -- I say it is not optional.  Just do it.)
6 C Rice Krispies cereal (or equivalent)

Directions:

Butter a 9x13 baking dish.
In a large pan, melt the butter over low heat.
Add the marshmallows and stir until the mixture is all melted and smooth.
Take off the heat.
Stir in the vanilla.
Add the cereal. Stir until the cereal is all coated evenly.
Spread the mixture into the buttered pan. I like to pat it in with a spatula (sometimes having to butter up the spatula a little bit first).
Let them cool and then cut them into squares.

Like I said... always a fave.

No comments: