Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Becky's Chicken & Black Beans

Story:
When I lived in UT, my good friend Becky D. and I used to go to the LDS cannery on a regular basis. We were making good progress on our food storage and having a few little adventures while we were at it ... like when the lid wasn't on tight and we sent "potato pearls" flying through the air! Good times.
When canning black beans one time, we got to talking about recipes, and she shared this one with me... one of her favorites, and now, one of ours.
It is served like a casserole, though Ben likes to roll it into a tortilla with sour cream to make a burrito. It makes a really tasty burrito! It's full of fresh ingredients, which I love and it has a great flavor. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts, cooked & shredded (I use the Cafe Rio chicken in here... yum!)
2 medium tomatoes
1 medium avocado
2 T cilantro or parsley, chopped - (I always use cilantro and I usually use more than 2T)
1 (15oz) can black beans
1 (12oz) jar of salsa (1 1/3 cups)
1 (8oz) pkg Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
4 flour torillas

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400.
Dice tomatoes and coarsely mash avocado.
Set aside 1 teaspoon of the chopped cilantro and 1/2 cup of the cheese.
In a large bowl, stir together the chicken, tomatoes, avocado, black beans, salsa, remaining cheese, and remaining cilantro.
Put mixture in a 9x13 (or a shallow 2 1/2 qt casserole dish). Cut tortillas into quarters and arrange over the chicken mixture.
Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
Remove from oven and set oven to broil. Remove foil and sprinkle the remaining cheese and cilantro over the top.
Broil for 3 minutes or unil top is crisp and golden.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I was just copy and pasting this sight to add to my blog....somehow I forgot about it but was reminded at dinner club when we made your lettuce wraps!!! YUM!

Anyway, now I feel famous. This recipe would be good in a burrito "Ben Style".

I miss you and the cannery days. I've only been back about once since you moved. When are you moving back so someone else will schedule that in for me. Ohhh, the potato pearls...what a disaster.