Friday, August 29, 2008

Cafe Rio

Story:
Soon after we moved to KY, my friend Traci introduced me to one of our now-very-very-favorite dinners. She got it off a cooking blog, so you can find the original recipe at Kalyn's Kitchen. Since the first time I made it, I've wanted to share it with friends and fam (especially you, Sarah E! You'll love this one.) Ethan calls it his "favorite burrito" and Ben says it's one of his favorite things I make. My mom really likes the cilantro rice. (I better be careful!... don't want to talk it up too much!)

One thing I really like about it (being the mom), is that it makes a LOT, so we can serve it with company and still have leftovers. As part of the dinner, you cook up a lot of marinated shredded chicken in a crock put. It's way too much to use, so I freeze it in either 1 cup or 2 cup baggies to throw into other recipes later. I refer to it in other recipes as "Cafe Rio Chicken."

This recipe is a little more labor-intensive than my usuals. Keep in mind that it does make a lot (read: you won't have to cook for a couple of days) amd that most of it can be prepared ahead of time.

Three parts to prepare:

Cafe Rio Chicken
Ingredients:
5 lbs chicken breasts
1 (8 ounce) bottle Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing
1 T chili powder
1 T cumin
3 cloves garlic—minced

Directions:
Cook all together in a crock pot for 4 hours.
Shred the meat and cook for an additional hour.

Café Rio Rice
Ingredients:
3 cups Uncle Ben's Converted Rice
3 c water
½ bunch cilantro
1 can green chiles
½ onion
4 t chicken bouillon
4 t minced garlic
¾ t salt
1 T butter

Directions:
Blend cilantro, green chiles and onion together in food processor.
Bring water to a boil and add all ingredients.
Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.

Cafe Rio Dressing
Ingredients:
1 buttermilk ranch dressing packet - (note you need buttermilk and mayo to make the dressing)
2 tomatillos (tomato-like vegetable with a husk around them)
½ bunch of cilantro
1 clove garlic
Juice of 1 lime
A few drops of green tobasco sauce (or 1 jalapeño... I don't bother with the jalepeno, I use the sauce)

Directions:
Make the buttermilk ranch dressing as per recipe on the packet.
Use a food processor to blend the tomatillos, cilantro, garlic, lime and tobasco sauce.
Add to the dressing and refrigerate.

To Serve:
(Note the additional ingredients not listed above)
The meal itself is one of those imitations from a Cafe Rio or Bajio's type restaurant. I eat it like a big, fat salad; Ben eats it like a giant stuffed burrito. Restaurants (like Cafe Rio) serve this like a salad that starts with a tortilla, then cooked beans (I use black beans--just 'cause they're my fav!), seasoned rice, lettuce, seasoned chicken, shredded cheese, and a fabulous dressing.

Notes:
I use the chicken in my Tortilla Soup, Black Bean Soup, & Becky's Black Bean and Chicken Casserole.
I use the dressing on Monica's Fish Tacos.

4 comments:

~ Wiles ~ said...

This is yummy. I love it!

Amy said...

I'm making this for new friends tonight and i forgot the buttermilk. Dog. I'm so excited for dinner.

colleen said...

Yay for new friends, Amy! Hope you have a fun night!
Google the buttermilk thing... I think you can make buttermilk with milk and lemon juice (or something)!

colleen said...

Yay for new friends, Amy! Hope you have a fun night! Google the buttermilk thing... I think you can make buttermilk with milk and lemon juice (or something)!