Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Sarah's Best Chicken Pasta Salad

Story:
I've mentioned Sarah E. before on this blog. I love Sarah! She lived across the street from me in UT and we were great buddies. This is her recipe. I remember I first had her chicken salad at a baby shower that she hosted in her home.... and, sadly enough, I remember this salad more than anything else from that morning! I made it when we had lots of family over after Gretchen received her baby blessing. I also made it for a Relief Society Birthday Dinner (when I was the enrichment leader.) Basically, it makes quite a bit and it's been a hit every time. So I hope you like it too...

Ingredients:
4 C cooked and salted shredded (or cubed) chicken
3 C (uncooked) medium pasta shells: Cook, drain, and chill
2 C red grapes (I usually slice 'em in half)
2 C diced celery
2 C diced red apples
1 small can crushed pineapple
1/4 C sliced green onions
1 1/2 C cashews (bits or whole)
1 C mayonnaise
1 C coleslaw dressing (Sarah's aunt says that it's best with Best Foods or Hidden Valley brands)

Directions:
Start with cooking the chicken and the pasta.
Then just add to a big bowl: the cooked chicken, the cooked pasta shells, grapes, celery, apples, pineapple, and onions-- and mix all that up. (It's best to do this the night before, and keep it in a ziploc bag in the fridge overnight... gives the flavors a chance to blend. Also, the juice from the pineapple keeps the apples from browning.)
Then, before serving, mix (in a separate bowl) the mayo and the coleslaw dressing. Add the mayo/dressing and the cashews to the chicken/salad mixture right before serving.
It would look pretty served on a lettuce leaf, but I usually serve it up in a big fat croissant to make a chicken salad sandwich! Yum!

Note:
  • I have started putting the chicken in the crockpot the day that I'm going to make this salad... and then I just shred the chicken. It's easier for me than baking and cubing it... especially if I'm making a double batch. Also, I usually make it in the summer, and this way I don't have to turn on my oven.
  • I'm not a big "nut" fan, but these cashews are great in it! And Sarah said that she's forgotten them before, and the salad isn't quite salty enough.
  • Kentucky Friends: For anyone here in my neck of the woods, the only grocery store I've found that carries the HV brand of coleslaw dressing is Crestwood Supermarket. Let me know if you find it cheaper than $3.99 anywhere else!

No comments: