Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Black Bean Soup

Story:
I discovered this recipe through one of those eat-well-during-pregnancy kinds of magazine/resources. Very Best Baby. The recipe card says to visit verybestbaby.com/recipes for more!

I know that Black Bean Soup doesn't sound (or even look!) very appealing. It's one of those foods though (kind of liked a baked potato) that doesn't really sound good, but once you start eating it, you remember how much you love it! I like this black bean soup... and I like that I've found a few ways to spruce it up a bit too.

Ingredients:
2 cans (16 ounces each) black beans, undrained
1 cup chicken broth
nonstick cooking spray
1 small onion, chopped
1 teaspoon bottle minced garlic
1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
4 teaspoons lime juice
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
1/3 cup sour cream or plain yogurt (optional)
fresh cilantro leaves (optional)

Directions:
  • Place 1 can of beans (with the liquid) and the broth in blender or food processor; cover. Blend until smooth. Coat large saucepan with cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook for 4-5 minutes or until onion is tender.
  • Add blended bean mixture, remaining beans and liquid, salsa, lime juice, cumin, and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover.
  • Cook, stirring occasionally, for 25-30 minutes. Serve topped with sour cream. Garnish with cilantro. (Makes 4 servings)

Variations:

  • The original recipe card says to use Ortega Thick & Chunky Salsa... I use my favorite Garden Fresh brand from Costco OR the Wal-Mart brand of Black Bean & Corn salsa... another yummy one.
  • I put a big dab of sour cream in the middle of each bowl. The kids like it because it mellows out the flavor a little if it seems too spicy. I know the plain yogurt would be healthier, but, whatever. And I haven't yet bothered to garnish with cilantro, though that would be pretty.
  • My friend, Traci, taught me to add some shredded chicken. I especially like to add about a cup of the shredded "Cafe Rio Chicken" (another recipe from Traci--I use it in lots of different recipes).
  • I've also added a can of corn before. Bulks it up a little and gives it a little more color and texture.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Coleen!!

Its kelly erwin--I found you through the empeys! Love this food blog! Because I LOVE food! Glad to get some new receipes. You should invite me to see your fam blog (if you want to!!) zklerwin@msn.com
Tell you kiddos and Ben hello from me!