Friday, August 29, 2008

Tuna Melts

Story:
I worked at Swensen's Ice Cream Parlor in San Diego the summer after my senior year of HS, before moving away to college. My friend Traci got me the job. It was a quiet little place, and has since closed. I met a cute boy there, and though that didn't work out, it was that summer that I fell in love with Tuna Melts. And since then I've learned (thanks to my friend Lee), to add more veggies into the tuna salad part. Sooo good.

These are always more filling than I think they are going to be. And I don't know why, but I always serve them with a side of sliced cucumbers.

Ingredients:
sourdough bread
monterey jack cheese*
tuna fish, drained
mayo
dill pickles, chopped (you can use pickle relish too, but I liked the chopped pickles better)
celery, diced
red or orange bell pepper, chopped
dehydrated chopped onions (green onions would probably be good; never tried)
garlic powder
black pepper

Directions: (kind of obvious...)
For the tuna salad:
Shred the tuna into a bowl. Add mayo until the tuna is lighly coated. (I tend to like things dryer than wetter... so add as much mayo as you want.) Add pickles, veggies, and seasonings to taste.

For the sandwich part:
Butter outsides of sourdough bread, put on cheese and tuna salad and cook on a griddle--just like a grilled cheese sandwich. Grill until lightly browned and cheese is melted.

*EDIT* Last week I made these again and I used Pepperjack Cheese in Ben's and my sandwiches. The best ever! Try it.

No comments: